Define the problem
User stories are a way to define the problem from the user's perspective, helping to create a shared understanding.
Writing User Stories: A Guide
User stories are a great way to define the problem you’re trying to solve. They help you to break down complex tasks into smaller, more manageable pieces. In this guide, we’ll cover the basics of writing user stories, including how to get started, best practices, and examples.
When writing user stories, it’s important to keep the user in mind. Think about who the user is, what they need, and how they will use the product. This will help you to create stories that are focused on the user’s needs and goals.
Start by writing down the user’s goal. This should be a simple statement that describes what the user wants to accomplish. For example, “The user wants to be able to search for products.”
Next, break down the goal into smaller tasks. These tasks should be specific and actionable. For example, “The user wants to be able to search for products by name, category, and price.”
Once you’ve identified the user’s goal and broken it down into smaller tasks, it’s time to write the user story. A user story should include the following elements:
- The user: Who is the user?
- The goal: What is the user trying to accomplish?
- The tasks: What tasks does the user need to complete to achieve the goal?
For example, a user story for the goal “The user wants to be able to search for products by name, category, and price” might look like this:
As a user, I want to be able to search for products by name, category, and price so that I can find the product I’m looking for.
When writing user stories, it’s important to keep the following best practices in mind:
- Keep it simple: User stories should be short and to the point.
- Focus on the user: User stories should focus on the user’s needs and goals.
- Be specific: User stories should be specific and actionable.
- Optimize for SEO keywords: User stories should include keywords that are relevant to the product.
Here are some examples of user stories:
- As a user, I want to be able to search for products by name, category, and price so that I can find the product I’m looking for.
- As a user, I want to be able to filter products by price range so that I can find the products I want.
Popular User Experience (UX) platforms for designers
- InVision — Invision is a design collaboration and prototyping tool that helps teams create and share interactive prototypes of their designs.
- UsabilityHub — UsabilityHub’s user testing platform and research panel help you improve the UX of your apps and websites. Get feedback from real people. Sign up for free.
- Mockingbird —
GoMockingbird is an online tool that helps you quickly create interactive wireframes and prototypes for websites and mobile apps. It’s easy to use and lets you collaborate with others in real-time.
- MockFlow — Online whiteboard for brainstorming user interfaces with your team
- UserZoom — UX research, done right. With UserZoom’s UX Insights System you can dig deeper, faster to deliver superior digital experiences throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Mockuuups Studio —
Mockuuups is a platform that helps you create beautiful product mockups in seconds. It offers a wide range of customizable templates, from iPhone to Apple Watch, to help you showcase your designs.
- Userlytics — Leverage our state-of-the-art user research platform and global panel of more than 1.6 million to improve your customer and user experience.
- UserTesting — Whether you’re focused on UI, UX Research, Design, or CX, with the UserTesting Platform you can get customer feedback to improve digital experiences and drive innovation
- Fluid UI — Fluid UI is a web-based prototyping tool that helps you create interactive mobile and web prototypes quickly and easily. It has a drag-and-drop interface, a library of UI elements, and a range of collaboration features.
- Designer.io —
Designer.io is a powerful design platform that helps teams create beautiful, high-quality designs quickly and easily. It offers a wide range of features, including drag-and-drop design, collaboration tools, and a library of templates and assets.
- UXPressia — UXPressia is a powerful customer experience mapping tool. Start customer journey mapping with UXPressia
- UXCam — UXCam is an experience analytics solution for mobile apps. Session replay, heatmaps, funnel analytics, and quantitative analytics make UXCam a complete enterprise analytics solution for deeply understanding user behavior. Book a short demo today.
- UserVoice — B2B user feedback software to help you listen to and guide your customers, prioritize product features that matter, and innovate efficiently.
- Flinto — Flinto is a powerful design tool that helps you create interactive prototypes for mobile, desktop, and web apps.
- Forrester — Forrester is a leading global market research company that helps organizations exceed customer demands and excel with technology. Learn how Forrester can help.
- ProtoPie — Build better products with our realistic & no-code prototyping tool. Ideal for all designers, UX researchers, and developers.
- Loop11 — Data driven design to help UX, marketing and product teams make smarter design decisions.
- FiveStars — Fivestars is an all-in-one payments and marketing platform that combines easy-to-use technology, customizable rewards and promotions, and automation.
- JustInMind — Easily create web and mobile app prototypes and wireframes with Justinmind UI prototyping tool.
- UserBrain — Userbrain is a platform that helps you test websites and apps with real users. It provides feedback from real people, so you can make better decisions and improve your product. It’s fast, easy, and affordable.
- Perkville — All in one referral and customer loyalty programs
- HotGloo — HotGloo is a UX, wireframe and prototyping tool designed to build wireframes for web, mobile and wearables.
- Validately — Validately is a user research platform that helps companies understand their customers better. It provides tools to conduct remote user testing, surveys, interviews, and more. Get insights quickly and easily to make better decisions.
- UserLeap — UserLeap is a customer feedback platform that helps companies collect, analyze, and act on customer feedback. It provides insights to help companies understand customer needs, prioritize product features, and improve customer experience.
- Loyalty360 — Customer experience is key to success. It’s not just about providing a good product or service, but creating an experience that customers will remember and come back for. Companies must focus on creating a positive customer experience to build loyalty and trust.
- Mockplus — The all-in-one product design platform for prototyping, collaboration, and creating design systems. Mockplus helps you create better design experience faster and easier
- Userfeel.com — Pay as you go User Testing Tool with no subscription or monthly fees needed. Get better insights from our panel of high quality testers from just $30 per tester.
- Creately —
- UserReport — UserReport is a set of free, easy-to-use tools, that tell you who your users are, and what they want to achieve.
- Loyaltyworks — Online rewards and employee recognition platform makes creating your own incentive program simple, Dealer reward programs, Online rewards, Dealer incentives